Searching...
  Sid's Bikes NYC  151 W 19th St.    
New York, NY 10011    
   (212) 989-1060  
   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

History of Sid's Bikes NYC

Our Beginnings

The humble beginnings of Sid's Bikes started over 40 years ago, with a small store called Chain Auto located in the Inwood neighborhood of upper Manhattan. As the name implies, the store was an auto parts store, but in addition, locksmithing and small appliance repairs could be had. While it started with a small assortment of bikes, in the midst of the '73 oil embargo, selling bicycles became a major part of Chain Auto. Soon, the flood of customers interested in commuting to work by bicycle, and the new trend towards exercising, made the bicycle section of the store expand beyond the other departments. In 1979 Chain Auto officially changed its name to Sid's Bike Corp. 'Sid' was the nickname of the shopkeeper. Under the new focus came a new location in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. At this point the business shifted almost entirely to bicycles. In keeping with its roots, however, customers could still get locksmith service while having their bikes repaired. In 1993, Sid's opened it’s first Manhattan location in the borough’s Kips Bay neighborhood. In 2005, “Sid” retired, closing the original Bronx location. In 2007 Sid's Bikes opened a 2nd Manhattan location on 19th street in Chelsea. This location between 6th & 7th Ave would later go on to be the home of Sid’s Bikes NYC as we know it today.